How to Deal with Grief as the Executor of an Estate

Yee Law Group Inc. > How to Deal with Grief as the Executor of an Estate

If your deceased family member named you as the executor of his or her estate, you have a lot on your plate. From beginning the probate process to contacting beneficiaries, this can all be overwhelming. If you were close to the deceased, you’re also likely going through a great deal of grief. It can be difficult to administer an estate and grieve at the same time.

Here are some different ways to deal with grief as the executor of an estate.

Acknowledge Your Grief

There is nothing wrong about recognizing your grief. In fact, acknowledging and working through your grief will go a long way in helping you heal. Just because you are responsible for probating an estate, does not mean that you can’t time to deal with your emotions. You may experience a wide range of emotions, from sadness to anger. Allow yourself to cry. If you bottle up your emotions, it may start to affect your physical and mental health.

Get Assistance from a Professional

Probating an estate can be very time-consuming and complex. It can be even more overwhelming when you are dealing with the death of a loved one. That is why it is a wise move to hire an experienced probate lawyer. He or she will take care of the paperwork and other duties so that you can have a chance to grieve.

Don’t Hesitate to Take a Break

Grief can be unpredictable. One moment you are smiling and crying your eyes out the next. When you’re overwhelmed with grief, don’t be afraid to take a break from your probate duties. Go for a walk, lie down and read a book or go see a movie. Allowing yourself to escape every once in a while is beneficial for your mental health.

Lean on Others for Help

Dealing with the probate process can be stressful, even if you have a probate lawyer on your side. Never be afraid to ask your family member for help. For instance, you might ask one family member to make arrangements with a funeral home and another family member to send out death notices. Your family is likely more than willing to help. 

If you need assistance with the probate process, you may want to get in touch with a probate lawyer, like one from Yee Law Group, P.C.

Scroll to Top