When is it Time to Call a Conservatorship Lawyer?

Conservatorship Lawyer Roseville, CA conservatorship lawyer Roseville, CA

It may be in your best interest to call a conservatorship lawyer Roseville, CA relies on as soon as you can if think you might need to help someone who might need a conservator. If you are already a loved one’s conservator, it is important that you have help and that you are protected throughout your time in this role. If you are fighting to be named as conservator to someone you care for, or if you are fighting to prevent someone from being put into this role who you know does not have your loved one’s best interest at the forefront of their decision making in mind, it is probably a good time to call a Roseville, CA conservatorship lawyer.

What is a conservatorship?

In the United States, a conservatorship is legal concept where a judge appoints a guardian or protector to manage the affairs of someone who is unable to manage their own finances and daily life. A conservatorship may be put in place when someone cannot do this because of physical and/or mental limitations, including those that come with injury, illness and old age. A person who is under a conservatorship is called a conservatee.

Depending on the situation, a conservator may be someone who only manages the financial affairs of the conservatee and they may be considered a conservator of the estate. A conservator may also be someone who takes charge of overseeing the conservatees’ daily affairs such as feeding, bathing, healthcare and household management, etc.

If you are a conservator or if you think you may need to become one, it may be in your best interest to discuss your situation with Roseville, CA conservatorship lawyer.

What is a guardianship?

Some states distinguish between a guardianship and a conservatorship. Depending on the state, a conservatorship may be called a guardianship where the person under guardianship is called a ward.

When a conservatorship is called a guardianship, the conservator is called a legal guardian. Some states use a conservator to only take care of a person’s finances, and use a guardianship to take care of a person’s medical, health and other life decisions they are unable to make for themselves.

A court may decide to appoint both a guardian and/or a conservator. These rolls can be filled by the same person or the may be filled by two different people.

If you have questions about conservatorships and/or guardianships, you may find it helpful to discuss your situation with a conservatorship lawyer in Roseville, CA who is licensed to practice in the state where the conservatorship is (or is going to be) established.

Who do courts appoint as a guardian or conservator?

Typically, a court’s first choice in appointing people to these roles is a close family member, such as a spouse or domestic partner, parent, or adult child. If the person who needs a guardian and/or a conservator does not have a close family member to fill these rolls, or if no family member is available or suitable, the court will usually consider other relatives or friends. In situations where there are no suitable family members or friends available to play these roles, the court will likely appoint a neutral attorney who is specially trained to handle these kinds of cases.

For a highly rated conservatorship lawyer Roseville, CA trusts you can count on, contact the law offices of Yee Law Group to see if we can start protecting the rights of you and your loved one today.


Scroll to Top