What Can an Elder Law Attorney Sacramento CA Families Turn to Do?
An elder law attorney in Sacramento, CA may be incredibly helpful to an elderly person in several different ways. A lawyer may provide a senior with guidance and be available to answer any questions about estate planning and other financial issues. Here are a few things an elder law attorney may help with:
- Guardianship: Elderly people who become incapacitated from an illness or injury may have trouble making legal and financial decisions on their own. That’s where a guardian comes in. This person is appointed to make legal and financial decisions for an elderly person. An elder law attorney Sacramento, CA trusts may help an elderly person select the appropriate guardian.
- Estate Planning: An elder law attorney may help senior citizens with estate planning so that their assets are passed onto their heirs after they die. An elder law attorney may also help their clients avoid too many estate taxes.
- Medicaid Planning: Nursing home care is necessary for many senior citizens, but it can be quite expensive. In some cases, nursing home care can be paid for by Medicaid. If you are low-income, you may be able to qualify. However, Medicaid laws can be quite complex, so it may be helpful to hire an elder law attorney Sacramento, CA depends on.
- Housing Transitions: When elderly people are no longer able to care for themselves, they may move from their house to a retirement home or assisted living facility, where their basic needs will get taken care of. An elder law attorney may help an elderly person with this transition by preparing all of the necessary documents.
Hiring an Elder Law Attorney
If your elderly loved one is dealing with a legal or financial issue, you may want to set up a free initial consultation with a Sacramento elder law attorney from Yee Law Group. A lawyer may sit down with you and your family member and determine the best way to handle the issue. During the meeting, do not hesitate to ask an elder law attorney Sacramento, CA counts on plenty of questions, including:
- Does your practice focus on a particular niche of elder law?
- Do you have experience with similar cases?
- Do you educate other individuals about elder law issues?
- How much time do you have to devote to my case?
- How long have you been an elder law attorney?
- Where did you attend law school?
Do not wait to hire a lawyer to represent your elderly family member. If you are searching for an experienced elder law attorney Sacramento, CA offers, contact Yee Law Group.
Elder Law Attorney Sacramento, CA Trusts Discusses Financial Abuse of Nursing Home Patients
At Yee Law Group, we represent many victims and their families who have suffered injuries from abuse and neglect at the hands of nursing home staff. We have been advocating for nursing home patients for decades. Although many people are aware of physical abuse and neglect, one type of abuse that does not get nearly enough coverage is the financial abuse that many elderly patients are subjected to by nursing home staff.
If your loved one has been a target of unscrupulous staff, contact our office today to find out how a Sacramento, CA elder law attorney can assist you. Financial abuse not only affects the finances of the victim, but can leave a heavy emotional toll, as well. Stealing money from an elderly victim can result in leaving them with no funds, robbing them of their independence and ability to purchase what they need. This emotional devastation often manifests in physical symptoms, as well, leading to serious medical issues.
Financial abuse of nursing home patients is not always easy to see, however, our elder law attorney knows there are certain warning signs that families should watch for:
- Changes to deeds
- Changes to wills
- Forged signatures
- Missing checks, such as Social Security, pension, or disability
- Unexplained disappearance of assets, such as stock or bonds
- Unusual or unexplained withdrawals from bank accounts
Not Always Staff
Although many incidents of abuse involve nursing home staff, it is also not uncommon for the perpetrator to be a trusted family member or friend of the victim. This can be especially true if the victim has appointed someone as their power of attorney, enabling that person access and control of all the victim’s financial assets.
No matter who it is that is committing the abuse, federal law considers these activities as criminal offenses under the Elder Abuse Prevention and Prosecution Act. Federal law also requires that any nursing home that receives more than $10,000 in federal funding report suspected crimes against a patient to both local and state law enforcement within 24 hours of discovering the suspicious activity. If the victim suffered a physical injury, the facility must report the incident within two hours. There are severe penalties for nursing homes who fail to abide by this law.
Reasons the Elderly are More Prone to Slip and Fall Accidents
A Sacramento, CA elder law attorney knows that proving a slip and fall case can be especially complex. In fact, when it comes to all matters personal injury, there are people who may bring forth fraudulent claims. Unfortunately, as a result, people who truly have suffered often must undergo a rigorous process when it comes to pursuing a claim for a slip and fall accident. Having an accident questioned by attorneys and insurance companies can be difficult to endure. The elderly population is a particularly vulnerable population who may be more likely to experience a slip and fall accident. Despite vulnerability, this does not mean that they should be held responsible for the accident. An elder law attorney serving Sacramento, CA may be able to help build a strong slip and fall case by navigating the complexities of personal injury and premises liability in particular.
The Elderly Population
Regardless of who may be at fault, key research conducted by the CDC estimates that nearly 1 in 4 people over the age of 65 suffers a fall on a yearly basis. The repercussions an elderly person face following an accident can be far more significant than a younger person. It can take longer for them to heal, and injuries they suffer may be far more serious. In some cases, elderly falls may even result in death. There are a variety of reasons elderly may be more likely to experience a slip and fall accident:
- Poor Vision
- Trouble walking
- A history of falls
- Weakness in the body
- Bone Deficiencies
Elderly people should not be deterred by this information. Suffering a slip and fall does not always mean that you do not have the ability to take legal action against a property owner. An attorney can look for the same evidence and variables when determining whether the case is strong enough. However, it’s important to note that whether someone else is liable or not, the injuries an elderly person may face can be far more serious and have a far more damaging impact. As a result, the damages may be greater.
Understanding Premises Liability
When a person is injured on someone else’s property, and they believe the property owner should be held responsible, an elder law attorney for Sacramento, CA will review the concept of premises liability. This is an area of practice within personal injury cases such as slip and falls.Premises liability looks at whether there were hazards or dangers with the property that the owner failed to upkeep or take care of. When property owners fail to upkeep their property, or warn others of its’ conditions, they may be held responsible for damages that result from an accident. Slip and fall cases can be challenging to prove. This is because your elder law attorney in Sacramento, CA will have to show that the accident was the result of the property owner’s negligence and not your own carelessness.
- The property owner had a responsibility to keep the area safe for visitors.
- The owner was aware that there were hazards or problems with the property.
- The property owner failed to keep the area free from hazards or repair problems that could result in injury.
- As a result, you were injured and suffered damages.
There are a number of questions you will want to ask yourself when sorting out who is to blame for the accident. A Sacramento, CA elder law attorney can help you to understand premises liability and other key factors that make up a slip and fall case.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a slip and fall accident, and believe that someone else may be held responsible, reviewing your case with an attorney may be the proper course. An elder law attorney in Sacramento, CA from Yee Law Group, PC can help you determine if your case is strong enough to pursue.
Contact a Compassionate an Elder Law Attorney Today
Tragically, elderly patients become victims of abuse and neglect in nursing homes throughout California. Our elder law attorneys have represented countless victims and their families who suffered extreme pain and other medical problems because of neglect on the part of nursing home staff.
If you suspect your family member has suffered mistreatment at the nursing home they reside at, contact Yee Law Group for help. Whether your loved one has been a victim of physical, sexual, emotional, or financial abuse, we can help. Our skilled elder law attorney Sacramento, CA clients recommend can discuss the details of your case, as well as what the legal options are that your family may have. Call our office today.
“Michael Yee has been extremely professional in helping me navigate through various legal matters regarding housing laws over the years. He has always been easy to get ahold of, very knowledgeable, easy to talk to, straight forward, and ultimately an important advocate for me. His prices are always fair, and there are never any hidden surprises or fees. Michael Yee knows how to get the job done. I cannot recommend him enough.”