What Can an Elder Law Attorney Sacramento CA Families Turn to Do?
An elder law attorney in Sacramento CA may be incredibly helpful to an elderly person in several different ways. A lawyer may provide a senior with guidance and be available to answer any questions about estate planning and other financial issues. Here are a few things an elder law attorney may help with:
1. Guardianship: Elderly people who become incapacitated from an illness or injury may have trouble making legal and financial decisions on their own. That’s where a guardian comes in. This person is appointed to make legal and financial decisions for an elderly person. An elder law attorney Sacramento CA trusts may help an elderly person select the appropriate guardian.
2. Estate Planning: An elder law attorney may help senior citizens with estate planning so that their assets are passed onto their heirs after they die. An elder law attorney may also help their clients avoid too many estate taxes.
3. Medicaid Planning: Nursing home care is necessary for many senior citizens, but it can be quite expensive. In some cases, nursing home care can be paid for by Medicaid. If you are low-income, you may be able to qualify. However, Medicaid laws can be quite complex, so it may be helpful to hire an elder law attorney Sacramento CA depends on.
4. Housing Transitions: When elderly people are no longer able to care for themselves, they may move from their house to a retirement home or assisted living facility, where their basic needs will get taken care of. An elder law attorney may help an elderly person with this transition by preparing all of the necessary documents.
Hiring an Elder Law Attorney
If your elderly loved one is dealing with a legal or financial issue, you may want to set up a free initial consultation with a Sacramento elder law attorney from Yee Law Group. A lawyer may sit down with you and your family member and determine the best way to handle the issue. During the meeting, do not hesitate to ask an elder law attorney Sacramento CA counts on plenty of questions, including:
- Does your practice focus on a particular niche of elder law?
- Do you have experience with similar cases?
- Do you educate other individuals about elder law issues?
- How much time do you have to devote to my case?
- How long have you been an elder law attorney?
- Where did you attend law school?
Do not wait to hire a lawyer to represent your elderly family member. If you are searching for an experienced elder law attorney Sacramento CA offers, contact Yee Law Group.
Elder Law Attorney Sacramento CA Trusts Discusses Financial Abuse of Nursing Home Patients
At Yee Law Group, we represent many victims and their families who have suffered injuries from abuse and neglect at the hands of nursing home staff. We have been advocating for nursing home patients for decades. Although many people are aware of physical abuse and neglect, one type of abuse that does not get nearly enough coverage is the financial abuse that many elderly patients are subjected to by nursing home staff.
If your loved one has been a target of unscrupulous staff, contact our office today to find out how a Sacramento CA elder law attorney can assist you. Financial abuse not only affects the finances of the victim, but can leave a heavy emotional toll, as well. Stealing money from an elderly victim can result in leaving them with no funds, robbing them of their independence and ability to purchase what they need. This emotional devastation often manifests in physical symptoms, as well, leading to serious medical issues.
Financial abuse of nursing home patients is not always easy to see, however, our elder law attorney knows there are certain warning signs that families should watch for:
- Changes to deeds
- Changes to wills
- Forged signatures
- Missing checks, such as Social Security, pension, or disability
- Unexplained disappearance of assets, such as stock or bonds
- Unusual or unexplained withdrawals from bank accounts
Not Always Staff
Although many incidents of abuse involve nursing home staff, it is also not uncommon for the perpetrator to be a trusted family member or friend of the victim. This can be especially true if the victim has appointed someone as their power of attorney, enabling that person access and control of all the victim’s financial assets.
No matter who it is that is committing the abuse, federal law considers these activities as criminal offenses under the Elder Abuse Prevention and Prosecution Act. Federal law also requires that any nursing home that receives more than $10,000 in federal funding report suspected crimes against a patient to both local and state law enforcement within 24 hours of discovering the suspicious activity. If the victim suffered a physical injury, the facility must report the incident within two hours. There are severe penalties for nursing homes who fail to abide by this law.
Contact a Compassionate an Elder Law Attorney Today
Tragically, elderly patients become victims of abuse and neglect in nursing homes throughout California. Our elder law attorneys have represented countless victims and their families who suffered extreme pain and other medical problems because of neglect on the part of nursing home staff.
If you suspect your family member has suffered mistreatment at the nursing home they reside at, contact Yee Law Group for help. Whether your loved one has been a victim of physical, sexual, emotional, or financial abuse, we can help. Our skilled elder law attorney Sacramento CA clients recommend can discuss the details of your case, as well as what the legal options are that your family may have. Call our office today.